- 15 fruit pods of raw jackfruit
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp chilly powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp jeera
- 3 garlic pods
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 tsp coconut oil
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
Cuisine: Kerala Cooking time: 45 mins Serving: 4 people
- Cut the jackfruit pods lengthwise into 2. Remove the seed. Cut the flesh lengthwise into 6 pieces. Cut all the fruit pods similarly.
- Remove the skin of the seed and cut the seed lengthwise into 4 pieces. Cut the seeds from all the fruit pods similarly.
- Wash the fruit pod and seed pieces thoroughly and cook them thoroughly with enough water in a kadai. Add salt when it’s half cooked.
- Grind the coconut, chilly powder, turmeric powder with adequate water to make a paste. After grinding it to a fine paste, add jeera, garlic pods, peppercorns and grind once again. Then add curry leaves and grind for a second or 2.
- Add this paste to the half cooked jackfruit pods and seeds and mix well. The consistency of the avial is of semi liquid. Add water if required to get the consistency. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Switch off the gas. Pour coconut oil over it and add few curry leaves.
Meal: Food type: